Monday, January 3, 2011

MLoH #6

1.  Being back in Seattle with Rob and the obscene amounts of food our parents loaded us up with to bring back.  Roast pork, scallion bread, daikon meatballs, sticky rice dumplings, boxes and boxes of chocolate, six different kinds of cookies, candy, dried plums and sweet olives, tea!

2.  New Year's Eve spicy Chinese hot pot and movie marathon with my family.  We went to the local library and rented four completely random movies and watched them all.  Mission Impossible III (dad was a fan), Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (mom cried), the 1956 Yul Brynner/Ingrid Bergman Anastasia (quite entertaining for all) and Yi-Yi, a critically acclaimed film about a Taiwanese family that none of us liked.

3.  The fireplace at my parents' house!  It crackled in a very satisfying way and made the house smell Christmas-y.  We threw in some sweet potatoes wrapped in foil and they turned out beautifully- sweet and caramelized.  I could feel the lovely heat in my toes and the tip of nose as I conked out on the couch reading.  I felt rather like Laura Ingalls Wilder in Little House in the Big Woods.

4.  Sleeping in with absolutely no guilt.

5.  Getting a travel voucher for giving up my seat on a full flight.  I'd always wanted to do it, but my schedule was never flexible enough to accommodate.  So, I got to spend a few extra days with my family AND a voucher to use towards some future trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment